At the same time Capital University moved from downtown Columbus to the acreage on Friend Street (now East Main Street) near Alum Creek, Christ Lutheran Church also relocated. The first service held by the church in their new location was May 7, 1876 in Lehmann Hall on the Capital University campus. The church was considered founded on October 7, 1878 when a formal constitution was adopted. Rev. Dr. William Lehmann was the church’s pastor.
Christ Lutheran Church
N.W. Corner East Friend Street (now East Main Street) at Magnolia Avenue (now South Drexel Avenue)
by Edie Mae Herrel
Image (c) Bexley Historical Society


The congregation held their first service in the newly built church, N.W. corner of Friend Street (now East Main Street) and Magnolia Avenue (now South Drexel Avenue) on July 4, 1880.
At first, the worshipers relied on folding chairs and lacked an altar and pulpit. In the winter of 1881, a committee was named to see that the church was heated. Services were in German, with an assistant pastor preaching periodically in English.
When the new Christ Lutheran Church was completed (1923), the old church was used by Capital students as their chapel and then by parishioners from St. Alban’s Episcopal Church while their sanctuary was being built. In 1927, the old Christ Lutheran Church was razed.
Written by Nancy Beck
July 2026
All artwork and images (c) Bexley Historical Society 2026.
If you have information to add to this topic, please let us know.
All comments are reviewed before posting.
