In 1933, the Ohio Oil Company was the first service station at this location, the N.E. corner of East Main Street at South Cassingham Road. Through succeeding years, various other service stations took over the site.

Jack Teeter, in 1946, opened a Marathon station at this location. Being a World War II veteran, Jack employed other veterans to work at the station.
They filled the car’s gas tank, checked oil and water levels and would put air in the tires if requested to do so.

The pictured building was distinctive with Pheidippides, the Greek hero who inspired the modern-day marathon race, rising atop the roof.
Marathon Service Station
by Edie Mae Herrel
Image (c) Bexley Historical Society
By 1954, the station had been demolished to make way for new development; a Kroger grocery store and now a CVS Pharmacy.
Written by Nancy Beck
July 2026
All artwork and images (c) Bexley Historical Society 2026.
If you have information to add to this topic, please let us know.
All comments are reviewed before posting.
