New City Hall
William A. Schnieder, a thrifty, practical contractor was elected Mayor in 1935 and began setting aside certain tax income to build a new city hall. His efforts were successful, and the building was completely paid for when dedicated April 5, 1952. Mayor Schnieder continued in the office for fifteen more
New Schools & Cityhood
1921 was a year of both growth and plans for growth. The high school was nearing completion, and the Cassingham Elementary School was to be built soon. With the population at nearly two thousand, Mayor Stephen Ludwig undertook to govern future expansion by appointing the first zoning commission and revising
Bexley Village Hall 1923
The Bexley Village council passed an ordinance in 1923, approving a $2500 expenditure to build a village hall. This was “City Hall” until 1950. The building was located off of Margaret Street, north of the railroad tracks.
By 1915, the village had hired its first marshal, and the council was meeting in the basement of the new East Main Street school building. Total assets of the village were listed as a road scraper, a wheel barrow, the marshal's bicycle and a vacant lot which was to be
The young village was soon embroiled in a legal battle with neighboring Columbus. The city regarded Bexley as annexed territory, refusing to acknowledged its incorporation, and sought to tax its residents accordingly. Villagers protested and appointed Mayor Holtzman as an individual taxpayer to file an injunction suit. Later in the
In August, 1908, the first Bexley village council representing approximately one thousand citizens, met in the University’s Recitation Hall. With Frank P. Holzman as Mayor, the first council passed ordinances prohibiting residents from allowing cattle to graze on village property, outlawed intoxication, assault and the discharging of firearms and banned
Becoming a Village
Barely a year after starting the association, the founders decided to incorporate as a village the area south of Town Street (now Bryden Road). This would have left the Jeffrey community to fend for itself as each area lacked sufficient population to incorporate separately and both were unwilling to be
By 1906, the area north of Town Street (now Bryden Road) continued to develop as an exclusive residential community of prominent Central Ohio families led by R.H. Jeffrey, who later became Mayor of Columbus. They established rigid building restrictions which are credited with the character of the areas subsequent growth.
Early Growth and Camp Bushnell
In the late 1880’s, development took a turn which would have a profound effect on the eventual character of Bexley. Several wealthy Columbus businessmen, recognizing the area quiet beauty, began building large homes in estate settings along the east bank of Alum Creek north of Broad Street. This new growth
By 1878, the neighborhood consisted of a few farm houses, the school, the small university and a growing number of permanent residents. In 1880, the first church, The Christ Lutheran Church, organized by the university, was constructed on teh northeast corner of what is now Main Street and Drexel Avenue.